Tuesday, August 24, 2010

As music becomes more high tech, it loses personality

I'm a picker, I'm a grinner, I'm a lover, and I'm a sinner.
I play my music in the sun.
I'm a joker, I'm a smoker, I'm a midnight toker,
Sure don't want to hurt no-one.

From “The Joker” by the Steve Miller Band

I miss the old pop and rock songs from my childhood. Of course I have most of them recorded, but its not the same to turn on the radio and hear what comes out of the speakers now. I know every generation has its own music and thinks that the music from the generations before isn't cool, but I really don't like a lot of today's music. Quite frankly it seems to me that the only quality a person has to have to become a famous singing star is to be weird enough to fit in. Ever notice how just plain strange most of todays stars are? Ok, ok I know; The hippies and hair bands of the 60's, 70's, and 80's were a little different too, but somehow they were cool. The music rocked! Maybe that is why they call it rock hmmmmmm.

I will continue my gripe about today's music. Too many of the lyrics suck. I have to admit that musicians of today are usually pretty good. Of course they have all the electronic cheaters that help them sound good, but that is ok. Playing music takes talent and hard work regardless of the electronic gadgets. I am a musician myself and sometimes the added effects are necessary, and add more character to the music. Now if someone could just write songs that make sense/tell a story/even talk about something fun. Rap music bugs me no end! I always tell everyone that rap stars are people who can't sing but want to be music stars anyway. Lets face it, if you have heard one rap song, you have heard them all. It seems that in the never ending struggle to be different, our musicians have all become alike. Oh for the good ol' days......

No comments:

Post a Comment