Thursday, November 12, 2009

American food versus Filipino food

American and Philippine food are so different. My wife is from the Philippines and has been here in America for about 8 months now. We agreed to combine our cultures and meet in the middle on things such as food. Well let me tell you this. I love, absolutely love Filipino food! We still occasionally eat American food but we eat much more food prepared the Philippine way than American. There is this wonderful sauce made from coconut vinegar, soy sauce, and some herbs and veggies that we eat nearly every day. We dip our meat in it and it doesn't matter what kind of meat, it makes it better. We eat Sinigang, Pochero, Adobo, and sometimes recipes that my wife makes up, and its all good. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. Its also healthy and we eat rice with it usually. I wasn't a rice eater before but it just fits with the other food. Now rice is kind of like mashed potatoes were when I ate only American food. It seems to go with nearly anything. Before my wife came here I knew that I would eat some of her kind of food but I thought I would stick with my culture and eat mostly American food. I even imagined that we might prepare two separate meals sometimes. I was wrong! American food take the hindmost, Asian food is great! Its also usually better for us. My wife uses a lot of fresh veggies and meat to cook with. Lots of herbs and spices. I love it! Now I am spoiled and if I had to go back to eating American food all the time I think I would starve. For those of you that haven't ate food prepared by a good Asian cook, you are missing out. Of course there are many cultures and different kinds of food in Asia and I only know about some Filipino foods. Not only have I found the love of my life, I have found the best food I ever ate!

No comments:

Post a Comment