Monday, January 2, 2012

Vacation is over, but my thankfulness lives on

It’s hard to believe that the holidays are behind us and my week off is already gone. It’s back to the ol’ grind, but I have a lot to be thankful for. Even though it’s hard to get out of bed early every morning to go to work, I have to remember that I am lucky to have a job, and I am lucky that my job brings in enough money to pay for our needs, and a lot of our wants. Most of the world is not so lucky. I feel so sorry for some of the third world countries where people may work from sunup to sundown, and still not be able to even have enough to eat. We are a spoiled people here in America, used to having more than we need, and used to having the assurance of unemployment or welfare to help us along when times get hard. Once again, most of the world is not so lucky. A lot of people abuse our system and it makes me sick to see lazy people taking advantage of our hard work. When I was visiting overseas I saw old people and children begging, sometimes laying in the streets because they had nowhere else to go. It’s time for us here in America to take pride in what we can do, as individuals, and as a nation. Sometimes I wish the able people who refuse to work were forced to live in one of the third world countries for awhile. They would learn to swim or drown in a hurry. It seems that more and more people are giving up and taking advantage of our system, and no wonder, it’s what our government gives rewards for. To work and to try is to be penalized for making the effort. To quit and become helpless means free housing, medical care, food stamps, etc etc. I never thought I would live to see the day when people and government came with built in obsolescence, but it’s rapidly becoming the norm.

I want to take time here to say “thank you God for giving me and my family enough. Thank you for providing us a way, and good enough health to take advantage of it. Remind me every day when I complain about getting up early to go to work, that I am luckier than billions of people in this world”. To all of you reading this, I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year. I also hope you always have enough, but only if you try….

No comments:

Post a Comment