Sunday, May 16, 2010

A lot of today’s music sucks

I remember when I was a teen I thought my music was so cool and the music my parents listened to was pretty terrible. Back then it seemed that my music would be cool forever, but of course it wasn’t. I grew up in the days of Elton John, Grand Funk Railroad, BTO, and all the other bands of the 70’s and 80’s. I still think a lot of that music is cool, plus it just seems to have better arranged music and higher quality lyrics than most today’s music. I joke a lot that most of today’s songs sound like something a kid would write. It is no joke however. Even so, sometimes I can’t help but laugh at some of the lyrics I hear, especially on today’s so called country music. I think most of the “country” singers probably don’t know which end of the cow the horn is on. The exaggerated country accents and fake gravely voices (imitating the old Kenny Rogers sound no doubt) make me sick and I usually turn the radio off or to another station when one of those comes on. Its sad but music has come down to the same principles that nearly everything in our society has fallen too; make money any way possible, but don’t worry too much about quality or longevity. Maybe I am biased but I think a lot of the older music, yes from my parents day, but also from my day, will live for many years. I just can’t see very many of todays songs being remembered for any length of time. Of course there is little talent involved in the music industry now. Its more sexual or shock orientated. Oh well, I can’t change it, but I can certainly hold onto my old music albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment