Monday, January 17, 2011

Where there’s a will, there’s a way

My memories sometimes take me back to my younger days when my brother and I would try to build everything we needed, instead of buying it. Some of our ideas worked well, and some didn’t, but all were fun. I recall one time he was over at my house and the universal joint went out of his truck. The local auto parts store wasn’t open on weekends so we had no way to buy another universal joint. We decided to try to give it a temporary fix so he could drive the truck home. We actually used a strip of aluminum cut from a soda or beer can to wrap the inside of the cup on the universal joint. We got it wrapped tightly so it fit pretty well and reassembled it. I wouldn’t have given a nickel for his chances to make it even to the end of the driveway, much less home, but he did make it. Not only did he make it home, he drove that truck for several years afterward, and never did replace that universal joint. I have no idea how it held up for so long but it did. He even hauled a lot of heavy loads on that truck. That is just one of our brainstorms that worked out pretty well. There were many more….

No comments:

Post a Comment